Year 11 VCAL Literacy visited the city on Tuesday to support their Road to Solo and Homelessness units. After exploring the interactive Road to Zero exhibition at the Melbourne Museum, we headed to The Big Issue to hear first hand experiences of homelessness and how The Big Issue provides those who are marginalised in the community with job opportunities and support. Thank you to Kelly and Michael for sharing their very personal stories. Next time you see The Big Issue being sold on the street, please purchase a copy. Every magazine sold provides income for the vendor.  Enjoy reading some of the student’s reflections below.

I really felt the Michael’s pain when he was explaining how each choice he made affected his life and how it impacted him either positively or negatively.

The Big Issue taught me that never know what someone is going through and at any time it can happen to you too. Michael has had many difficulties, but he kept continue being resilient which I have some as well.

I was surprised that Michael was homeless but got his life running properly for around 6 years, he had a stable job and a wife and home, but then he ended up homeless again 6 years later. I liked how he didn’t give up and to this day he has his life back on track and is a mental health worker at the hospital.

Through lots of trials and tribulations Michael is now a major part of the big issue and continues to provide help to those in similar situations.  Michael’s story was very interesting and motivating.