This term our Year 7 and 8 Aspire classes headed to the Zoo for an enrichment excursion.  It was fabulous to see the students excited about an excursion and ready for a day of fun and learning with their peers. They completed the Animal Classification and Adaptations program. Here’s what Elise from 7A had to say about the day: 

“On Monday, 29th of August, the Year 7 and 8 Aspire classes had the opportunity to spend the day observing different and interesting animals at Melbourne Zoo. We got to go on different tracks with our friends, and while looking at all of the animals we wrote in a handout we received in class. This sheet was all about the adaptations different animals have and why. My highlight of the day was looking at the sea animals and taking lots of pictures with my friends- we saw seals and so many different species of fish that we got to learn about and of course observe the structural and behavioural adaptations they have. On the day we also had a special class with one of the zoo keepers, and we learnt all about lions and bears, and so many more animals, some of which I had never heard of before! Overall, I loved the experience and I can’t wait to keep researching these animals for CAT 2 in Science, which is all about the animals at the zoo, as well as the ones in my own backyard.” – Elise 7A 

A reminder that if you are joining Mooroolbark College as a Year 7 in 2023 applications are still being accepted for our Aspire Testing Day on Saturday 8th October. Details about the program, the testing day and application information can all be found on the College website or you can email any questions to aspire@mooroolbarkcollege.vic.edu.au  

Kara Salmon 

Aspire Coordinator and High Ability Practice Leader