Term One Principal’s Report
With Term One drawing to a close, I would like to acknowledge the work of our staff and students during what felt like a very long term. It has been the first full term in two years, without a lock down or remote learning. It has taken some adjustment but we would all agree it is lovely to have some normality back in our lives, with swimming sports, debutante balls, excursions and camps all going ahead in Term 1.
The Student Wellbeing Centre and the re-landscaping of our quadrangles is proceeding as planned, with a final completion date in early July. Students will be pleased to hear that the southern quadrangle will be completed and handed back to the College for student use within the first two weeks of Term 2. With additional seating and an outdoor stage and classroom area, this will be welcomed by all.
Changes for 2023
As a result of changes to the industrial agreement currently being ratified between the State Government and unions, the structure of the Mooroolbark College school day will change in 2023. The College will be changing from a 4 period day (70 minute periods) to a 5 period day (57 minute periods). The structure of the day will be as follows:
- Home Group – beginning at 8.44 am
- Period 1
- Period 2
- Recess – 25 minutes (increased from 20 minutes)
- Period 3
- Period 4
- Lunch – 40 minutes (reduced from an hour)
- Period 5 – ending at 2.55 pm
Across the week this will also mean students receive an additional 30 minutes of face to face teaching. I am also sure bus travellers will appreciate the extra 5 minutes at the end of the day to ensure that they make their bus on time and are crossing Manchester road safety.
Each year the College asks for nominations for College Council. I am pleased to announce the members of the College Council for 2022/2023:
- Julie Medlin – President – Community Representative/Past Parent
- Jordan Daniels – Community Representative/Past Student
- Beth Rose – Vice President – Community Representative
- Dianne Bouwhuis – Community Representative/MCPA Rep
- Tooba Awais – Staff Representative
- Lachlan Mann – Staff Representative
- Rachael Williams – Secretary – Staff Representative – Secretary
- Samantha McIntosh Staff Representative
- Daniel Harrison – Student Representative
- Gabrielle Bouwhuis – Student Representative
- David Johnston – Treasurer – Parent Representative
- Mark Johanson – Parent Representative
- Kerri Ann Graff – Parent Representative
- Jeff Fowler – Parent Representative
- Louise Just – Vice President – Parent Representative
- Louise Schofield – Parent Representative
I would like to thank the College Council members for their commitment to the College and I look forward to working with them throughout this year.
Mooroolbark College Parents Association
At Mooroolbark College we are very fortunate to have a wonderful parent community which involves itself in all aspects of College life. There are not many secondary schools which have the support of a parents association. At Mooroolbark College, our parents association undertakes a wide variety of activities including supporting the Debutante Ball, supporting our Performing Arts program and our College Open Night. The MCPA (Mooroolbark College Parents Association) meet twice a term on a Monday night. I would like to acknowledge and thank the following parents for their commitment to the school and encourage any other parent who wishes to join to contact Sally Jackson at the College on 9727 8100.
The MCPA consists of the following parents:
- Gemma Heemskerk – President
- Sam Wahrenberger – Treasurer
- Sally Jackson – Secretary
- Dianne Bouwhuis – MCPA College Council Representative and Vice President
- General Committee – David Johnston, Steve Reid, Michaela Gray, Jodi Jordan and Heather Lamb
I wish everyone a safe and happy Easter break and that they take some time to look after their own wellbeing.