The Literacy Team were inundated with entries into the remote learning Literacy Challenge, in which students were encouraged to send a ‘selfie’ or photo of their favourite reading spot at home and write a short explanation of why it was important to them. We had a range of entries – from students who were making the most of the sunshine by reading outside, to others who had set up a reading nook in a quiet area of their home. The winning entries have earned valuable House Points and are published below. Congratulations to all of our entrants! 

VCE Winner – Stephanie Troiano G3 
This is my lockdown reading spot. It’s hard to see in the photos but its just a small wooden table and chair set up on a little pathway out the front of my house. This little spot of the yard has grown with me and my interest throughout my life; from riding my bike around this path to covering it with chalk drawings, it is significant in many positive childhood memories. Now it acts as a spot to lose myself in between words and pages. On gorgeous days like today the sun warms my heart as it shines down, reflecting through the lush green plants, lighting up the entire area, and drawing my dog in to come relax here with me too. This spot makes me understand that life is all about finding happiness in the little things. Most importantly, it forces me to show gratitude for not only the good but also the bad as that is the result of life. 

Year 10 Winner – Tara Barnewall Y5 
This is my favourite reading place, in the apple tree in our back yard. The branches are quite comfortable once you find the right position. This is my favourite place because I’ve always enjoyed nature and this lets me read while outdoors and literally surrounded by nature. The leaves also provide great coverage, meaning my family can’t see me unless they’re looking for me and know I’m there, which means I don’t get disturbed by my family or our pets, since our pets don’t realise I’m up the tree. Plus, the branches allow for a great setup, including a spot for food or drink, and to rest my book or device that I’m reading on while I get up or down from my branch. 

Year 9 Winner – Olivia Ross Y9 
This is my favourite spot to sit and read as it just calms me down as I gracefully swing side to side. The book I am reading is ‘When Rain Turns to Snow’ and it’s about a girl home alone one day and a random person comes up to the door with a suspicious look on their face! It is also my favourite reading spot as it’s in my room and it’s just a calm and collected place to sit and read a great novel. 

Year 8 Winner – Laura Harrison R9 
This is my absolute favourite reading place because it’s my room, and I always feel safe and happy there. It’s also where I have a mini library of my own (all my bookcases) and reading just lets you flow into another world where you are free from every trouble in the universe. 

Year 7 Winners – Abbey Heemskerk B9, Jax Davies G3, and Jaziah Madronio G7 
Reading my favourite book in the cool flowing breeze is such a joyous feeling. This spot on my back deck is where I like to while away the hours with my nose stuck in a book, inspecting the happenings in the neighbourhood. Whether it’s 38 degrees or 5 and raining, I curl up and read until the words are ingrained on the backs of my eyeballs and the seat has a dent in it. – Abbey  

I’m currently reading the new Anh Doh, E-boy, book. I’m interested in Anh Doh and his history, especially his artwork which I have seen in an exhibition. I chose my reading spot to be my pool with flippers and snorkel as I could imagine that this is the sort of thing Anh would write about being wacky and fun! I do actually read when I am relaxing so this seemed a great place to choose today! – Jax  
My favourite place to read is in the living area where the books are placed. I love reading in here as well as sitting on the couch with a back massager. I can read my favourite book and get a back massage at the same time. The fish tank is also in front of me where I can hear water that makes me calm. I can concentrate on reading with no distractions at all. It’s also a quiet and peaceful place to read. I feel relaxed and comfortable while reading in this favourite spot of mine. – Jaziah  

Sarah Garnaut 
Learning Specialist – Literacy