The first day back for Year 11 and 12 students was certainly an unusual one. The emptiness of the classrooms certainly had an impact as the school did not feel as “alive” but we adjusted.

The adjustment back to school was certainly hard for many and not just because, as one of my peers joked, losing the ability to “eat chicken nuggets in class”, but rather the greatest struggle was the change in atmosphere. After being cooped up inside my house for so long, only seeing my family and pets. I had begun to forget what it was like to be in a crowd, I know I felt rather intimidated to be suddenly in a study centre filled with my peers. The loud cacophony and movement, while buzzing with excitement to greet everyone, had me taken aback. This to me was the biggest adjustment.

Mooroolbark College certainly has made excellent steps in ensuring safety in the school with new rules regarding sharing of equipment, cleaning of ICT and a bottle of hand sanitizer almost always within sight of you.

My message to all returning students who are still feeling the effects of re-adjustment is that Mooroolbark College is very much invested in student wellbeing. Mr Nichol, as well as the school chaplain Mrs Van Der Ende, have worked tirelessly during isolation alongside House Leaders, Cluster Coordinators, and Home Group teachers to make sure our mental health is not affected adversely from quarantine. If you need support, remember, do not be afraid to reach out as you are not alone.

Matthew Bethell

College Captain