House Green MachineHOUSE REPORT – GREEN HOUSE 

It has been great having the entire Green House cohort back on Campus the past month. Whilst it was quite stressful for some to return, I am pleased to see everyone settling back into the school routine. 

We have been concentrating on getting the Green House Spoonville looking good. All students have decorated a spoon by themselves or in pairs and our Year 7 students’ spoons welcomed back the 8-10 students. The garden beds are looking really good with some colour. Congratulations to Blake Moir who was the first student to put his spoon in the ground – he won a $10 canteen voucher!! 

We ended up winning the best layout! Go green house!! 

Before the Year 12 final day, we farewelled our year 12 students at a Green House assembly. The year 12 students were in the ECA as a group. They have been an excellent group of students throughout their time at Mooroolbark College and we wish them the best for their future. 
Green House is continuing to close the gap on the other Houses in regards to the House Cup. The culture is growing and we have some enthusiastic younger students who are keen to keep it growing.  Unfortunately, we still ended up in 4th place, but it was only 200 points between fourth and third. We will continue to close the gap and overtake in 2021!! 

We had a very strong group of students apply to be a captain for Green House in 2021 and it was a very difficult decision. I am pleased to introduce the 2021 captains – Josh McMeekan, Caitlyn Kavanagh, Belle Gavin and Mia Caruana and I can’t wait to work with you. Finally a huge congratulations also to Jonty Just, another green house student, who was announced as the 2021 school captain! Well done to all our leaders for 2021. 

Thank you to Meg Mast and Connor Tisch, as well as Carla Hunaidi and Charlotte Gardiner who led Green House through the most challenging school year that was 2020.  

Middle School House Captain Interviews

Carla Hunaidi 

What made you apply for a leadership position?  
I wanted to be more involved in the school community and felt that applying for this position would have been the best thing to do. I’ve always enjoyed working with teachers and students to improve the school. 
What has been the best thing about being a middle school house captain?  
It was great to help and talk to more teachers at school. I felt more included in the community and I loved seeing what goes on behind the scenes! It was also amazing to help people (mostly year 7 students with their transition) with whatever they needed, even the smallest things like a short talk during lunch.  
What are your best leadership qualities?  
I believe my best leadership qualities are my communication skills and integrity. I find it quite easy to speak with people about most topics and feel like it is important to understand what someone you are working with is thinking, while they know what you are thinking too. It’s easy for me to ask questions and start a conversation, but I also find it important to be honest and open when speaking to someone, no matter who they might be. Honesty and integrity lead to better communication, which leads to better results.  
What do you like to do in your spare time?  
I enjoy hanging out with friends and family, painting, reading, and baking. I do spend A LOT of my time on my phone, but I also make sure to put it down every now and then to check with myself and see how I’m feeling.  
Do you have further leadership aspirations? What are they? 
I definitely don’t have my life planned out, but I do know that I want to keep learning and improving every day with the things I do. I want to build connections with people all over the world with different backgrounds while also remembering the current people around me who help me grow as a person and leader.  

House Red DevilsHOUSE REPORT – RED HOUSE

We have been very excited to see all our students return back onsite to Mooroolbark College from remote learning. It has been nice to see students’ smiley faces (behind masks).  

PRINCIPAL AWARDS

I would like to congratulate Tyler Charlton, Sam Thomas, Ella Mcintosh and Nick Attard on the outstanding achievement of receiving a Principals Award. This achievement requires students to receive 5 merits to achieve a value award in Respect, Endeavour, Compassion and Resilience. Well done! 

HOMEGROUP

We have had some changes to homegroups with students in year level groups for the remainder of the year. During homegroups students have been contributing to the Red House Spoonville. Decorating and designing some very creative spoons. Red House Spoonville is definitely a sea of red. It looks extraordinary. Judging day was on the 13th of November and Red House took out most entries, most unusual entry and best layout. Great work Red Devils! 

CAPTAINS 
We are excited to announce the Red House Senior School Captains; Cara Schofield and Tristan Torriero, who will be joined by our Middle School Captains; Hayley Lamb and Ritika Panwar. They will all provide outstanding support and energy to the red devils team. We look forward to working with them closely in 2021.  
Our 2020 captains; Kaeli Farralley, Alex Linnie, Alex Strahan and Cooper Williams have all done an exceptional job in what was a very different year for our captains – we can’t thank you enough for the support and enthusiasm you gave to red house this year. 

A little bit about our Middle School Captains of 2020: 

COOPER WILLIAMS 
Favourite colour: Cian 
Favourite movie: Man from the Snowy River 
What do you like doing in your spare time: Playing cricket 
How did you survive remote learning: Keeping physically active. 
What have you enjoyed most about being Middle School Captain: Helping at the carnivals, being enthusiastic! 
What will you tell future generations about COVID-19: It was bad, BUT it wasn’t the worst thing that could happen. Just had to remember to do things to help yourself to get through. 

ALEX STRAHAN 
Favourite colour: Aqua 
Favourite movie: Train to Busan 
What do you like doing in your spare time: Play instruments, reading and basketball. 
How did you survive remote learning: Talk to friends and keeping in contact with people. 
What have you enjoyed most about being Middle School Captain: Working with other captains, enjoyed the teamwork. 
What will you tell future generations about COVID-19: It was really hard, but you can get through it. Keep in contact with people and take care of yourself.