Are you coming to Mooroolbark in 2023? Would you be interested in applying for the Aspire class?

Our Year 7 students have now completed their first semester of secondary school. I asked them some questions about their experience in the Aspire Program so far – here’s what some of them had to say!

Why did you choose to apply for the Aspire program?

“I applied for the Aspire program because when l came to high-school l wanted to push myself to the best of my abilities and the Aspire program does just that. I also wanted to be in an environment with other people who thought learning was as amazing as l did.” – Charlotte

“I chose to do the Aspire program because my siblings have been in the program and they loved being in Aspire, so I decided to give it a go.” – Will

“I signed up for Aspire because it was a great way to challenge myself in my learning.” – Giselle

“To give me a challenge in my schoolwork.” – Adam

What has been your highlight of the year so far?

“The highlight of my year has been camp. It was very fun and was a chance to meet new people.” – Ruby

“Term one where we explored food in food studies (trying new subjects).” – Trinity

“Trying to wrap my head around all the new things I have learnt in all of my subjects.” – Dean

“The highlight of this year has to be making new friends. Everyone gets along, is helpful, and just works well.” – Owen

“My highlight of the year so far has definitely been the swimming carnival, I found I was surrounded with many of my friends from other classes. In Aspire there is no push to only be around the same people, and we still participate in the same activities as all of the other classes. The swimming carnival was so much fun, and I loved having a dip in the pool in the heat and having a day away from the classroom for fun activities.” – Elise

What advice would you give to a Grade 6 student who is considering applying for the Aspire program?

“Go for it!! Being in the Aspire program means you get an extra boost in your learning, with experienced teachers to help you along the way. My advice would be to only think about your own personal goals in learning, and not to compare yourself to other students. There is no reason not to apply, because Aspire is not about being clever. Aspire is for people who have a passion to achieve high goals and want to boost their knowledge.” – Elise

“Be prepared for challenging work and tasks and have fun!” – Vincent

“The advice I would give to Grade 6 students applying for Aspire is to try your best at everything and give everything a go because it could help you in the future.” – Addison

“Definitely apply for the program. It’s a great program that helps me all the time. As well as being enormously beneficial to your learning, you also get to do all sorts of extra fun things, like excursions.” – Giselle

“Some advice l would give to Year 6 students applying for the Aspire program is to have an open mind. I think having an open mind is the best thing to do especially when applying for something you love. Be prepared to change a few things and be more open to learning opportunities and just take them as they come. Another piece of advice is to make sure you are passionate about applying, make sure that this is what you really want to be involved in and give it your best effort.” – Charlotte

Choose 3 words to describe your experience in the Aspire program.

Beneficial                  Challenging              Superb                       Helpful

Passionate                Interesting               Academic                  Expectations

Fun                             Exciting

Details about the Aspire program and our testing day for the Year 7 class for 2023 can be found on the College website or you can email any questions to aspire@mooroolbarkcollege.vic.edu.au

Kara Salmon
Aspire Program Coordinator and High Ability Practice Leader